Are you knowledgeable enough when it comes to roofing insurance claims for storm damage?
Whether you’re a Denver CO homeowner or a business owner, it’s important that you are aware roofing insurance claims for storm damage. Being prepared gives you an advantage that will also reflect as your safety blanket.
If you want to invest in your roofing knowledge today, stick around and learn about the following:
- Roof insurance inclusions
- Different types of storm damages
- Warning signs pointing to storm damage
- Do’s and don’ts when filing roofing insurance claims for storm damage
What’s Included In My Roof Insurance Package?
To maximize your roof insurance claims for storm damage, it’s important that you fully understand the terms and conditions included in your package.
What are the things that you need to check? These are some of the most vital elements that you shouldn’t miss out on. Make sure you ask your insurance service provider about the following:
- State rulings and local policies that can affect the claims.
- Types of storm damages that will fall under the coverage. (We’ll talk more about this later on in this blog post.)
- The ceiling amount of roof insurance claims depending on the extent of the damages. (Some cannot be predetermined right away, thus, it’s important to discuss the terms completely.)
What Are The Different Types Of Storm Damages?
When is it considered storm damage and when is it not? You also need to identify potential types of damages that can prompt you to file for an insurance claim.
Knowing these things can help you expedite the process to get things moving. Because if you are always unsure, these things can compromise your safety and lead to bigger issues sooner or later.
What can cause water damages? There are several culprits to blame including floods, hurricanes, storms, heavy rainfall, etc.
Water can easily creep into your roofing that may go unnoticed for a long period of time, sometimes weeks or even months. This makes water damages destructive.
We always tell our clients and readers to immediately act on water damages the moment they see the signs or if they have experienced a terrible storm. Otherwise, it can get difficult to treat if you choose to ignore the signs of water damages such as leaks, wall stains, musty smell, and more.
There are areas that are more prone to hailstorms. If you’ve confirmed that your location is indeed prone to these phenomena, what can you do?
Good news because hail damages are often included in roof insurance claims for storm damage. These tiny ice balls can create serious damages like holes, scratches, dents, and more. If they come, you are confident that help is just one call away.
If a hailstorm has just passed and you feel like it’s nothing, don’t undermine the possible outcomes. It’s still imperative for a roofing professional to inspect and confirm the condition of your roof.
(Check out our hail damage repair services.)
Wind damages can come in various forms. Some are minor while some are severe to the extent that they would need an immediate roof replacement.
Wind is so strong that it can tear off a roof as a whole. It can also uproot a tree that can land on your roof. The intensity can range from mild to extremely destructive. Good thing, wind damages are one of the typical inclusions in roofing insurance claims for storm damage.
Snow is also a powerful natural element. Thus, residents and business owners who live in areas that experience heavy snowing should make sure that it is part of their roofing insurance.
Although snow may melt away when seasons change, it can leave behind roofing problems that are difficult to undo. Some damages may be permanent as well. Because of this, roof inspections are recommended every after the winter season.
The Most Common Storm Damage Signs
We’ve already talked about the possible insurance inclusions. Now, let’s be more specific and find out what are the most common signs that point to storm damage.
Why is this important? Basic understanding and awareness can help save your roof. Not only that but it can also save a life.
Being able to detect the damages right away is a huge thing. Time is important because if you let it pass, there are many other more serious things that can happen.
Aside from extreme and very obvious signs (like holes or a blown-off roof), here are the things to watch out for after a storm:
Missing Roof Shingles
As we’ve mentioned above, the wind is a supernatural element. It can move or displace roof shingles which is the number one sign of wind damage.
When this happens, your roof becomes susceptible to harmful external elements. It can also expose the inner parts of your roof or even the interior area in worst case scenarios.
Damaged Roof Shingles (Cracks and Dents)
If you notice that your roof shingles do not look good anymore, it might be because of very obvious cracks and dents. These are caused by many different elements like hail, for example.
Even if you feel like your roof’s still okay, think again. These tiny (almost invisible) openings can invite water to penetrate your roof leading to many serious problems like leaks.
Some people don’t really make a huge deal out of leaks here and there but if they worsen, they can cause foundations and walls to collapse.
Usually, granules end up in the gutter because it’s where water can lead them. When roof shingles shed granules, it’s not looking good for you.
When these granules are washed away due to several reasons like heavy and continuous rainfall, the roof shingles tend to lose its protective barrier. They become weaker and more prone to roofing damages.
If you notice granules scattered in different areas, don’t think twice. Call your roofing contractor right away to schedule an emergency site inspection. It’s better to over prepare than to be caught off guard.
Do’s and Don’ts When Filing Roofing Insurance Claims For Storm Damage
“What to do?” This is the most common question we receive from people who come to us for their roofing insurance claims for storm damage.
Filing for insurance claims may seem like tedious work. There are many things you need to take care of administratively speaking which can get overwhelming for ordinary residents and business owners.
Simplify the process, we’ve listed down some of the most important do’s and don’ts that you need to keep in mind. If you know what or what not to do, it becomes easier to process whatever you need to fix your problematic roof.
- Report to your roofing contractor right away. If you notice storm damage signs, call your roofing partner immediately. No ifs, no buts. They are the ones who can accurately determine the services that you need.
- Document visible storm damage signs. It will also help if you can gather pieces of evidence that will support your claim later on. These can in the form of photos and videos.
- Compile all insurance papers. Before you even contact your service provider, make sure you have with you all the necessary documents. Review it beforehand to help expedite the discussions.
- Set a meeting with your insurance company. Once you have all the documents you need, set an appointment with your insurer. Bring all your documentation and start discussing the claims. Normally, they will send a representative to inspect your property but the photos will also help confirm the incident.
- Don’t climb up your roof to check its condition. It’s extremely dangerous. You might get into a serious accident that will cost you more money and put your health on the line.
- Don’t entertain storm chasers. We all worry about the expenses. Thus, it gets easier for storm chasers to trap and lure you to their unbelievable offers. These scammers pretend to be legitimate roofing contractors and steal money from you.
- Don’t start repairs or replacements without signed documents. Verbal agreements are not enough when it comes to roofing. You should be able to secure signed contracts before you start any roofing service.
In our everyday life, it always seems a difficult feat if you have zero knowledge about. This applies to roof insurance claims for storm damage, too. The less you know, the more it can get overwhelming.
If you don’t know where to start, go back to this blog entry to learn about the basic do’s and don’ts. The tips we included here can serve as a guide so that you wouldn’t fall victim to scammers. Moreover, it can also help you maximize your claims and expedite the process at the same time.
On top of this, Ropa Roofing can offer you so much more if you need roofing assistance. Our trained roofing professionals have extensive experience on insurance claims, thus, we can guide you every step of the way.
Give us a call for any kind of roofing concern and we will be there: 720-307-7174.